Thursday, January 26, 2012

Getting Dressed.

Growing up, my mom stressed the importance of being & looking clean, and always presenting yourself in a lady-like fashion. 

Since getting ready to go some place meant "getting dressed", I felt pure excitement in my heart every time!

Getting dressed didn't mean getting "gussied up", or wearing dressy clothes; not all the time. It meant preparation, care...forethought. Whenever we went somewhere, even if it was to the grocery store or to visit family, my siblings & I got "dressed"; smelling good, hair styled, and clothes pressed. We didn't wear "name brands" & all that jazz, but we were some clean-looking kids.
Getting dressed for school often meant laying pieces out the night prior & ironing away any wrinkles.

My mom taught us how to cleanse & take care of our bodies, how to crease pants, and sew buttons & hems.

I enjoyed it all.

My dad (being the clothing yang to mom's ying) used to ask me all the time when I was in high school, "Aren't you overdressed?!" Ha!
Is wearing an all cream pants suit, with olive faux-croc, patent leather, ankle booties in the middle of winter overdressed?! 
Probably, but I never felt like it.

I couldn't comprehend "being overdressed" at the time...Mom said to look nice!
Nevertheless, I'd always consider his question, but my reply was always the same: "No!", with a confused look on my face & a twinge of attitude in my voice.
Didn't he understand?!

It's so funny...now, I'm quite conscious of the feeling of being overdressed, and I think it's far worse than being underdressed...then again, I don't like to draw a lot of attention to myself because of what I have on. I'd much rather stand out in a very subtle manner, if that makes sense.
Sometimes a jacket feels too jazzy, or a piece of jewelry feels like too much, so I have to take it off.

It's weird how you carry things with you to adult life, sometimes unknowingly...lightbulb!!! I think my style may have originated from my parents! It did originate from my parents.
...Not too little (mom), but not too much (dad).

Wow.

I LOVE deciding what to wear, getting dressed & looking nice. Sometimes I do it to go nowhere, but I especially do it when traveling...brings me so much delight!


Which would you rather be: over or underdressed? 
What are the origins of your current style?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I, sadly, have not continued with some of the great habits I grew up with and I'm trying to rectify that. My mom worked so much that I didn't always have a disserning eye with my daily preperation. Add to that I was a tomboy and you have a recipe for disater! But I do love your style!

 
At January 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Pretty Dark Girl Style said...

Marie I can SO related to this entire post. My mom too was very neat and organized in everything she did especially in how she and we presented ourselves to the world. We didn't have much, but what we did have was always clean and neatly pressed. We never looked disshoveled or out of place at any time, and she took great care in making sure of that. I look back now and see how that has shaped my style and fashion sense today.

Great post... enjoyed the read :)

Toni

 
At January 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous nae said...

Hi :) So, I have no idea how I came across your blog, but I love it! Anyway, I can identify with your removing certain articles of clothing or pieces of jewelry. It took me a long time to come into my own style and appreciate that it's fine to be simple and stylish. I admire the "edge" and boldness of others, but it looks so forced when I try it. I'm done trying now LOL... Our mothers may be distant cousins LOL because she was always adamant about looking presentable (clothing and hair).

 
At January 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Blogger hsiek said...

Just recently found myself re-structuring my style and opt to wear blazers and trouser jeans to class (I'm in college), instead of the "uniform" (jeans, flip-flops, hoodie, etc). I'm not quite where I want to be in life, but I'm going to dress the part! :-)

 
At January 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM , Anonymous Just me said...

I don't know where mine came from because neither of my parents care that much. They are simple clean folks. I have always been a little too much flair for them. It's more about classic clean pieces for me. Think Jennifer aniston. I think that may slowly coming back to them but.... I think I was just born a little extra in a more organic kinda way.

 
At January 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Monique said...

So wonderful your mom instilled those values in you. Certainly I prefer to be overdressed.

 
At January 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM , Blogger MINASEK said...

I want to see the whole picture, is it you in that beautiful white shirt?

 
At January 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Mrs. T. Mac. said...

This was a great read. I believe we come from the same upbringings. We didn't have much but my mom always made sure we were neat and clean when we went out. She said we didn't have to look like we didn't have money...lol

It is funny how we evolve over time. I am the opposite of you. In my younger years I didn't want any attention on me. Now, I prefer to be slightly overdressed. Not too much...just a little. :)

~Tavia

 
At January 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM , Blogger GG said...

This was definitely fun to read. I enjoy the whole process of getting dressed and yet I don't like to make too much of a fuss. I just know that when I feel fresh and comfortable - I also feel more confident and happy. Even when I'm casual I like to show that I put thought into what I have on and like it represents me. Already my 6 year old daughter is very dramatic, I mean passionate :) about getting dressed and expressing herself that way.

 
At February 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed reading this, as I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts & personal stories about the subject:) Thanks!!!

Minasek: Yep, it's me. LOL

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home