Friday, December 16, 2011

Review: Warby Parker.

I'm thinking of getting glasses instead of contacts after my annual eye exam next year.

Although they fog terribly after coming inside, from the cold, and require constant cleaning from annoying, inevitable finger prints, they give me back the time it takes to remove & clean my contacts nightly (then rinsing & putting them back in again in the AM).
I'm realizing more & more that I don't like having to do a lot to get ready in morning.
Ehh...maybe the time saved v.s. time lost is the same?...
But, I'll definitely save some $ from having to buy contact solution & cases.

Anywhoo...
I haven't worn glasses in years (except right before bedtime & when I need to get up in the middle of the night) & I feel like a change!

I want some super sophisticated (quality) frames that will last several years...maybe with some transition lenses.
Can anyone give me the inside scoop on those??? Are transition lenses efficient?


I came across Warby Parker online, and found that they offer some attractive-looking frames; so, I went to their site and put 5 of them in my cart for the home try-on service that they offer. 3 days later, they arrived at my doorstep!

I usually have a hardest dang time finding frames to suit my face, so I think the FREE home try-on service is just fantastic! No pressure from the eye technicians to hurry up & choose at the optometrists office. You have 5 days to decide, before sending the box back. Genius!!!


I was impressed with the box. Very clean. Nice packaging. The glasses inside were also clean.
Not sure why (maybe the other reviews I'd seen online), but I was expecting finger prints & just "Ugh" from when other people tried them on their faces, but of course, the glasses & the plastic that they came in...pristine!



Warby Parker charges 95 bucks for a pair, and I think that's fair.
...Ya see what I just did???...
The frames felt of a decent quality. The styles were nice too; they definitely have this "youthful-hip-fun" feel to them!





The Huxley's were my favorite, but I didn't fall in love with any of the 5 frames that I selected. None of them hugged the bridge of my nose (always the deal breaker for finding frames, for me), and I think I want a more "serious-looking" frame.

I need frames that snuggle the sides of my face, as well as my nose. I hate having to adjust my glasses every few minutes. The frames that I have now keep sliding down my nose; they didn't use to do this, but they're so old & loose.


As far as aesthetics, I think rectangular frames look best on me.
It's hilarious how I try to go by the "face-shape to frame-shape chart" but my face is like, all shapes:
Square-ish in the forehead area.
Heart-shaped, cheeks to chin.
Oval, when I'm straight-faced.
Round-like, when I smile/laugh hard (after a season of eating much food of comfort).
I definitely recommend giving Warby Parker's Home Try-on Service a go if you're in the market for some reasonably priced, decent quality, stylish frames.

My "perfect-frame" search continues.
Have you tried Warby Parker?

Labels:

12 Comments:

At December 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Blogger theJARbaby said...

I've not tried that company although after a bit of encouragement from you, I may. It's time to replace my 2 year old frames. May I also say I adore the Huxley on you.

 
At December 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Carla said...

I've never tried this brand, I LOVE DKNY frames. My insurance pretty much covers the whole nine, so I'm only left with $25 to pay in the end. The frames that I have now are DKNY and I love them. I also have transitioning lenses. The only con about the transitioning lenses, well mine, is that sometimes it takes a while for them to transition and it can be pretty annoying. I mean, I can still see, but things are a bit darker.

 
At December 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Cool, thanks tJb!

Carla: I remember seeing some pretty nice frames by DKNY; will keep it in mind. Thanks for the feedback on transition lens too!

 
At December 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM , Anonymous Jen said...

I feel like I always look "off" when I get home with my new frames lol so this is a great idea. If you find your frames, please update us!

 
At December 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Monique said...

looking forward to seeing which one you choose.

 
At December 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Jhan said...

I too think rectangular frames are the most flattering... I've had transitional lenses for about 4 years now and I like them. I do think they're "worth it" and practical... except on those cloudy days when they decide to get dark on you. :-)

 
At December 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM , Blogger signature mix said...

The Huxley are my favorite too but they're only worth getting if you really love the fit. I really should try this site. The try-on service sounds great and feels like less pressure than making a snap decision in a store. And i desperately need a pair of glasses for reading.

 
At December 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous Ria said...

Maybe give Tortoise & Blonde a try. They have great frames as well as a low price point. I liked the Huxley's on your face too but I understand about the bridge of the nose thing.I hate when glasses get old and they start to slide down. I'm all about contacts because I hate the smudges and typical glasses problems.

 
At December 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG i love warby parker, i have the thompson (square, wide but not deep) in crystal. they have such a great selection! it took me months to decide. one good tool (not sure if its really a tool but...) is when they tell you what face shape is best for that frame. i have wide checks and big eyes so that section was my bible. they even donate a pair of glasses when you buy them. you won't regret it if you get glasses from them.

 
At December 20, 2011 at 1:37 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Jen, I know that feeling...LOL

Thanks Jhan, for the feedback on the transition lenses!

Ria, thanks for the suggestion...their frames look great!

Thanks all for your messages. I'll definitely post if I find my dream frames:)

 
At December 20, 2011 at 4:42 AM , Anonymous justme said...

I like the 4th ones. I like them all though. I am so mad that I made a comment and I lost it somewhere. Finished the first ep of AHS.... girl.... lol.. what the heck am i watching :)

 
At December 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thanks Justme:) Glad you like the show!

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home