Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Being Who You Are: But, What if you're a Perfectionist?

Perfection is actually attainable.

Well...there are moments like: cooking a tender, juicy well-done steak, coming up with a genius design solution, or styling your hair so well even the elements can't ruin it, instead they help it appear even better...
Moments that make you feel like it merely could not have been done any better.
It is, in fact, perfect.

Achieving perfect results has always been this driving force behind the things that I do. Sometimes I realize it's presence, but most times it's such a quiet energy.

When deciding to retire from my "perfectionist ways", a little over a year ago, I'd only considered the bad that it's made me feel. It wasn't until today that I realized how it has also brought out some of the best in me, throughout my life.

  • It's made me research things, beforehand, to find the best/proper way.
  • It's made me give my very best, v.s. "half-assedness".
  • It's made me care deeply.
  • It's made me smile ear-to-ear.
  • It's made me feel major feelings of accomplishment & joy.

For all it's known unhealthy ways, I don't want to be a perfectionist. On the other hand, it's who I've always been. It's a very inherent thing.

So...is it bad?
Am I suppose to run from it?
Can I?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At December 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM , Anonymous justme said...

i think trying your best and being a perfectionist are two different things. the things you mentioned that are the good, are things that come with always doing your best. and the plus about always doing your best is that there is no "bad" part of it like being a perfectionist.

 
At December 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Just Daisy said...

girl you really have me thinking on this one.

I get criticized all the time for my efforts to be perfect or great in all that I do. I don't think its so wrong to hold myself at such a high standard or the efforts I put into my work.

It drives me nuts when people say it will be my downfall when it really has brought me up more than anything but I have to admitt that the way in which my perfectionist ways overtake me into a despondent state of madness isn't too pretty.

So I agree with Justme. The option of chosing what you do or how your perfectionish affects you is a perfect solution. If you can find the positive attributes that come with perfectionism and outweight the negatives affects then its all good!

If that made any sense lol

xoxo,
daisy

 
At December 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thanks Justme! Makes sense.

Daisy: I think it's great that you don't think it's bad/wrong. Thanks for sharing your dealings with this.

For me, I feel the good v.s. the bad is pretty even. I'm just trying to accept the entire notion as being just another part of me, instead of thinking it's all bad and needs to be gotten rid of.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home