Sunday, November 6, 2011

Clearing the Clutter In Real Life: Yes, I Graduated from Kindergarten!

There.
Now, I can throw away this ancient diploma & the one from 8th grade.

Recently I talked about simplifying your time online, and how I wanted to clear some clutter from my life online (speaking of which, I still have tons of food/recipe posts to upload from the old blog. I must get this done.).

Now I'm getting rid of the clutter in real life.




As a romantic, I find sentimental value in a lot of things. Than there's just other stuff that I hold on to, for worry that I might need it some time in the future (i.e., receipts, product manuals/boxes, shoes/clothes/accessories that I once wore to special events. Diplomas too for some reason, although, NO ONE has EVER asked to see any of them. I'm only slightly irritated/disappointed by this).
This all makes it incredibly hard to throw things away.

How do you detach?

I was recently reading about this guy who lives a minimalist lifestyle. Everything he owns can be put in a single bag, so that no tangible object could hold him to one place.
This sounded so admirable to me. How freeing must it feel? To not be tied down by...things.
On the other hand, it is kinda extreme to be able to fit your entire life into one bag. Isn't it?
I digress.

I just want to breathe better in my own space.
Old, unused things that I haven't touched or even looked at in years...it all HAS to go!

Only this is how "decluttering" typically goes for me:
I pull out bags & boxes & bins, look through stuff, then come up with reasons why certain things must never see the garbage can; and instead of throwing them away, they go into the neat pile of "keepers". The keepers get stored away again, usually in some place where they'll never be seen until the next "decluttering". 
...right.

One afternoon (determined not to be a "hoarder"), I managed to sit down & cut out favorite looks from old magazines & J.Crew catalogs. The rest was tossed.
The diplomas & awards from my "academic heydays", photographed, then also put in the garbage.
I finally took my wedding photos out of the boxes they came in, and threw them in the trash. The boxes, not the photos. I put the photos in the album that we bought specifically for our wedding pictures years ago.
Husband even cleared out his vault of video games, and traded most of them in at Best Buy! He got over 100 bucks in Best Buy gift cards. (If your hubby/significant other is interested in this, he can check the value of his games online.)

Inhaling is starting to feel better!

Next to go are big items.
Our couch, TV stand, and (fingers crossed) kitchen table. Well...one of our kitchen tables. We have 2. The larger one that we bought to host Thanksgiving one year is hopefully going. Husband wants to keep it & repurpose it for work desks:(

With these things gone, it will open up a lot of space, and I'm excited about designing it.

I finally found some nice fabric, to cover my couch pillows, only now I'm thinking to toss the pillows with the couch, and use the material to reupholster the love seat.

How are you decluttering in real life?
What items are you having a hard time throwing away?


P.S.
November is looking to be a super busy month for me, so updates might be slower.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At November 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Jhan said...

I have awards/certificates from grade school too.... Sad. I am also a hoarder of sentimental items. i have a keepsake box that transformed from a shoebox to one of those fancy boxes they sell in stores. I also had tons of papers and thing from when I was younger, but I finally mustered up enough annoyance with all of it to clean it out in time for the "Great Shredder Event" we have in Philly every year... (well, not EVERYthing), there are still a few things lying around my room at home... Shame).

 
At November 10, 2011 at 7:15 AM , Blogger welcome to my jungle said...

That is so cute! And your header is gorgeous!

xo
Dani

 
At November 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM , OpenID thenauticalwheeler said...

I started cleaning up my online stuff as well. So odd but it felt great to organize my pinterest! My real life closet is next ~jen

 
At November 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Hey Jhan: OOh, Great Shredder Event...my town needs one of those! My tiny shredder shreds so slow & like 4 pieces of paper at a time:( Your keepsake box sounds nice!!!

Thanks Dani:)

TNW: Cool! Thanks for chiming in here:)

 
At November 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM , Blogger Monique said...

yes de-cluttering is so important!

 
At November 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Anonymous justme said...

hey girl, i didnt forget to respond to you, its just that day when i typed that long reply, it was flowing. i cannot quite put it into words again. it's killing me, but i just wanted to let you know.

i'm sure you understand because you are creative so you know how it goes when something wrecks your flow

 
At November 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

No worries Justme. Thanks for letting me know that you didn't forget. If it does come back to you, just let me know:)

 
At November 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Carla said...

I am the exact same way. I need better detaching techniques. However, I have noticed that when others do it for me, I'm less emotional about those things being gone that I've held onto for years.

 
At December 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I have one of those at my mom's house.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home