Sunday, October 16, 2011

Skin: Facing Facts.

I can't afford to be lazy. As much as I want to keep it simple, I know that gorgeous skin, for me, will never be happenstance.

I have to work diligently to get & maintain the great skin that I want, starting with my face & neck.

Smooth, soft, & radiant.
Preferably, with a very low bump count.

That's what I want.

Here's what I'm dealing with currently:
• Oil-prone T-zone
• Dry patches around my mouth/chin
• Acne
• Lips that have somehow become allergic to Chapstick (& I suspect petroleum)
• Dark spots (acne scars) & uneven tone
Sigh.


Since quitting my acne meds about 7 months ago, I've gotten much better (and consistent) in drinking water daily. I've also been good at eating my vegetables.

Riding my bike, surprisingly, is proving to be some exercise. I rode on my first trail on my birthday, and the hills kicked my butt. I thought I was in for another leisurely ride; but I was wrong! That day I found out just how out of shape I am...
but, back to the skin talk.

I'm adapting a more serious regimen.



I'd been using (roughly) the same regimen/products that I used while on the acne meds, while hoping for the same "clear-skin" results...which never happened by the way.
• Washing my face using only my fingers 1-2 times a day. (This is not going to cut it...I need to exfoliate.)
• Using Cetaphil facial cleanser. (maybe switch to cleansers with salicylic acid &/or benzoyl Peroxide in it)
• Moisturizing with Cetaphil moisturizing cream or lotion. (way too heavy/oily for my face)
• Using Neutrogena SPF 45 moisturizer. (too oily & SPF can be lowered, since winter is approaching)

I recently washed my face with the same cleanser, but gently used a cloth instead of my fingers. I noticed a difference immediately.
My skin was soft, smoother, & just a tad bit brighter. WOW! I realized that the medicine used to do the job of exfoliating for me. Since I no longer use it, the dry patches/dead skin was just sitting on my face. Ewww!

I also realized that the moisturizing cream (& putting SPF moisturizer on top of it) was just way too much oil for my face. I ditched the heavy moisturizer & SPF 45 for Aveeno oil-free SPF 15 moisturizer (my dermatologist recommended it for me once).
This is also working better for me.

All I need now, is something to tone/even things out a bit (without irritation), and a very gentle cleanser (with an active ingredient(s) to combat acne).

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At October 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger C.D. Perry said...

I'm allergic to chapstick too and Carmex made me lips bigger than Cher on her 5th goodbye tour! Burt's bees has great lip balms as well as Nivea and EOS. I also heard that you can get addicted to lip balm...so coconut oil helps with dry lips...I'll be trying that as well.

 
At October 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Anonymous Deborahdeb said...

I used to use Cetaphil, but I never felt like it got my face clean. My dermatolgist recommended "CeraVe" instead, and I like it. I also use Kiehl's "Rare Earth Pore Minimizing Lotion" on the days that I need a little moisture. My dermatologist said if I don't need the moisturizer, don't put it on. Consistency is key. I am sooo bad at my night time face routine, and I pay for it. I've got to do better!!

 
At October 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

C.D.: It's nice to know I'm not the only one! It's the weirdest thing, I used to use Chapstick all the time. Then one day, just like you my lips blew up. Ugh. LOL @ the Cher reference! I've tried Eos & coconut oil, both didn't have enough moisture for me. I'm having a lot of success with Neutrogena's naturals lip balm right now.

Deborah: Yep...Cetaphil does not have a good lather...but it's uber gentle. My doc. also recommended CeraVe; I'll look into their cleanser...
You're so right about consistency. My skin surely shows me when I'm slacking:(

 
At October 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiMarie....Looking for a product to tone your skin, check out ttp://www.ThisThatBeauty.com/

 
At October 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM , Blogger GG said...

Loving your blog :)

I go through many of the same struggles. I have a hard time being consistent even when I know what works. I have the oily, acne prone skin with dry areas around my mouth too. I highly recommend getting a clarisonic or as an alterative, Oil of Olay has a version of the skin brush. That has made a huge difference in exfoliating my skin and keeping my pores clean. Also, Mario Badescu acne products (esp. the drying lotion) really works wonders on my breakouts. I know everyone's skin is different though!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 8:50 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

GG: Thank you!!!
I appreciate you sharing what is working for you. I've been considering purchasing a Clarisonic for awhile. I keep hearing good things about it. Will look into Mario Badescu. Thanks again:)

 
At November 10, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger My Documented Closet said...

Not sure if I'm late on this... I use the 3 step Acne solutions from Clinique... I recently got acne out of the blue.... as an adult! UGH!! Let me tell you...... it's gentle and VERY effective. Its $$$- but worth it (You can try the travel set at Sephora for like $25- it'll last about month and a half if you use it twice a day...) I noticed that it has a tendency to dry me out a bit. When that happens I use the moisturizing gel (Clinique).Step 2 in the three step is a toner, which over time diminished my acne scars.. So what I've found for me, is preventing the break outs and treating the "spots" are my greatest battle.. these products do both. If I get a really bad scar though i use Ambi with a q-tip just on the spots. SPF is important (especially for me since I'm old now :) but even a low one will be just enough for your complexion (like spf 15) This will be lighter and less greasy. My greates challenge is DOING the routine... I have to stay diligent, and when I do I'm very pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

 
At November 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

It's never too late MDC:)

I've heard of that treatment by Clinique. Thanks for sharing your tips & experience. LOL You're not old:)
I use SPF 15 daily and it's working better for me. I do wonder if the higher one (of even if sunscreen in general) was/is the cause of my breakouts though...my dermatologist once told me that chemical sunscreens could irritate my skin.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home