Monday, October 31, 2011

Sacrifice & Improve, or Indulge & Live?

It is a struggle...wanting to be & do things better, and wanting to just enjoy life.

How do you decide?
One takes work, the other...is merely simpler; instant satisfaction.

Do I sacrifice fun shopping trips to fully realize & LIVE the knowledge that obtaining more stuff doesn't add much in realm of "real value" to my life; or, do I just enjoy the fleeting thrills of finding super nice things at super discounted rates?

Do I sacrifice certain food indulgences (& regular "not-so-good-for-you" eats that I love) to improve my diet, which in turn, will probably improve my overall health; or do I just enjoy eating the foods that I love?
After all, what kind of "living" doesn't involve pizza, & doughnuts, & a bowl of mac & cheese???


How do you find balance?
Does one really improve without making sacrifices?...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At October 31, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Blogger LaNeshe said...

OMG! I've been asking myself the same exact questions!! When you figure it out, let me know lol.

It's SOOO hard to balance. My most recent conclusion, was focus on being the best and doing the best during the week, and just enjoying life, even bad food, on the weekend. Is that balance? lol

 
At November 1, 2011 at 12:53 AM , Anonymous justme said...

I am so mad. I just typed a long answer and it deleted it and didn't post. I will respond in a blog post by Friday with my thoughts on this, because it was entirely too long, LOL

It was a good one too. I'm so mad!

 
At November 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM , Blogger GG said...

I am convinced that it must be a balance/combination/smorgasbord of all those things. I find that when I get too extreme in one direction or the other, it really makes me feel deprived.

What I need to work on is not overindulging in fun things. For example, if I want cookies, I can have them but I don't need to eat 8 of them. And so on and so forth.

 
At November 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

LaNeshe: LOL It IS very difficult! I think we both have the same idea right now.

Justme: Awww...Maannn!!! LOL I hate when that happens. Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

GG: Thank you! I know that deprived feeling all too well, but it's the guilt that comes along with "eating 8 cookies" that really gets me.

 
At November 3, 2011 at 12:41 AM , Blogger My Documented Closet said...

This is a tough one... I struggle with this also. I'm a mother of 2, wife etc. I listen to the "inner voice". Hate to sound cliche, but it's never been wrong. Sometimes you just have to have the Mac and Cheese and the Guiseppe's and other times you must put the fork and the credit card down. That voice will say when to stop, or keep going. The hard part is learning how to listen.

 
At November 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

MDC: I know that "inner voice", and you're right, it's hard to listen to it sometimes. Thanks for chiming in here with your experience:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home