Guarded: When being safe keeps good people outside.
How do you overcome being guarded?
It is extremely hard to meet new people, and receive them warmly, when you're subconsciously concerned about your own personal safety.
At the very hint of possible friendship, your mind immediately questions & figures the relationship future...
• Are they trustworthy? Probably not...I don't know them.
• What will they want from me? Most likely something I don't want to give.
• Can I give it to them? Yes, but I'll have to work hard.
• Can I give it to them without draining my energy? See above answer.
• Will I disappoint them if I can't deliver what they want from me? Of course!
This type of thinking keeps everyone (you don't already know) outside, yet, you know there are good people out there...trustworthy people, who don't want anything from you...people who can help you grow & be better, if you'd only let them in.
It takes a certain type of heart to openly receive people...to trust & give the benefit of the doubt to complete strangers, doesn't it?