Saturday, October 1, 2011

Do-It-Yourself Fresh Microwave Popcorn.

Since my dad won't give up his Whirly-Pop, Orville doesn't seem to be bringing back the "Old Fashioned Butter" (& virtually every other kind has this yucky milk aftertaste), and my microwave popcorn bowl that I bought from Target burns/underpops every bowl of popcorn I make,  I had to find another way to make one of my all time favorite snacks at home.

Enter the brown paper bag.
It's super easy, kinda messy, but definitely delicious!



(Adapted from Food Network, by Alton Brown)

Grab yourself 1 brown paper lunch bag. You may have to trim off about 2 inches from the top.

1/4 cup of popcorn
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted in a ramekin
1/4 teaspoon popcorn salt
popcorn seasoning


Add popcorn, salt, and a dash of popcorn seasoning to the butter, in the ramekin. I used white cheddar.
Stir well.


Pour popcorn mixture into the bag, then fold the top of the bag down twice to close.


Lay some paper towel on your microwave plate, inside the microwave; or use a paper plate. 
Put bag on top. 
Microwave for about 2 minutes.

Please note: I prefer standing the bag up right instead of on its side, like pictured. Just be sure the bag isn't stopping the microwave plate from rotating (if it is, trim a little off the top of the bag). I tried it both ways, and the results were more popped kernels when the bag stood upright...it also lessened chances of burning.

Pull the bag out as quickly as you can & carefully (watch your fingers...it's HOT!) unfold the top so the steam escapes. Quickly, pour popcorn into a bowl.

Devour!



As with all popcorn, you should stay in the vicinity of the microwave as it's popping. Walk away & it's guaranteed to burn;) LOL 
Microwave time/temps vary. Listen to when popping sound slows down. If you smell it starting to burn, or there is about 2 seconds between "pop" sounds after the first minute & a half, stop the microwave & take out the bag. 
2 minutes time was perfect for me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Jhan said...

Mmmm! Seriously, Marie, you are awesome in the kitchen.I am craving popcorn like crazy now. I can even smell it!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM , Blogger LaNeshe said...

Awesome!

 
At October 4, 2011 at 7:46 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Jhan: Every time I smell popcorn, I want some. LOL Thanks!

Hey LaNeshe!!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home