Monday, September 12, 2011

What do you want to experience in life?

What do you really want to experience in your life? 

This sole question is what I took away from reading The 4-Hour Workweek. I'd recommend this book for inspiration, more than it's practical advice.

Although it's a very motivating, thought-provoking read; filled with uncommon ideas about work and sprinkled with info on how to free up your personal time (i.e., hire a personal assistant overseas to read/reply to your emails, &/or negotiate with your manager/boss so that you can complete your entire week's work on Monday & Tuesday, to take off the rest of the week to travel somewhere exotic, take a class, learn another language, etc. The latter you've done successfully when you've convinced him/her that it's somehow better for the company!), I don't think I'll be using it's suggestions any time soon.

But...if you read the book, you choose what you'll apply in your life, and what you'll skip.


I started thinking about what I wanted to experience.

Not long after reading, I suddenly got bored with getting things & accumulating more "stuff"...stuff that only excites me before, during, and a little bit after purchasing (.i.e., clothes); but more on this later. It's complicated, as shopping is one of my all time favorite "experiences".

My focus at the moment, and hopefully it will continue on, is to go & do more, and find those experiences that bring excitement & joy that is more long-term.


One experience that I'm going to share with you here is learning how to ride a bicycle, as an adult!
In the long-term, I see myself riding to the ice cream shop (and taking other leisure bike rides) with Husband, riding for fitness, and maybe even teaching other adults or my little niece (when she gets older) how to ride a bike.

I'm excited & nervous!!!

What do you want to experience in your life?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At September 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this post because it seems like we are going thru similar things. i am still trying to answer this question. i have started back journaling because i just feel at a standstill. i am still drawn toward "stuff" its just who i am. I do however think it thru more. getting a box full of MAC is not as appealing as it would be. I had a list a ton long for Missoni for target, till I looked around my life and I dont even like "busy" stuff like that, LOL. Its an everyday struggle for me and I am working on that balance and answering the question of what do I want..... look forward to see what you come up with.... yepanotherone

 
At September 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thanks Justme for the feedback:)

I too really like "things" & it IS a struggle. I like that you journal, as I do too. It helps to just get it out sometimes.
I heard about the hoopla @ Target over this designer. It's not my style, but I totally get the excitement. If J.Crew came to Target...LOL Granted the brand isn't considered "designer"...
I hope you will also share what you come up with in your journey! We can inspire each other:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home