Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Learning to ride a bike as an adult: Pedaling means Riding.


I wasn't expecting it to happen, but I told myself: "Today IS the day"!

Husband & I went back to the empty parking lot for the third consecutive Saturday, and I got on my bike with confidence & major determination.

I pushed off & balanced with ease for a minute, when my feet finally found the pedals & before I knew it, I was riding...for like 4 seconds!

Joy found me.




My back was to Husband, so I yelled to him..."Did you see me!!!? I was riding"!

He didn't.
He was busy on the phone & taking his bike off the back of the car. He took mines off first & I wasted no time in implementing what I knew I needed to do (but wasn't ready to do) last week.

I put on my gloves & my helmet, prepared to fall, but not really thinking about it. Seat as low as it could go, I felt comfortable stopping the bike at anytime.


The second time I started pedaling, I looked down thinking "Oh, my gosh!!! I'm actually pedaling! I'm doing it!", and that's when things got unbalanced fast. I didn't fall, though.

Every try after that was hurried, because I was excited & I didn't want to lose momentum.

After about the fifth time of pedaling for a few seconds, only to wobble to a stop (because I kept looking down at what I was doing), I tried a suggestion from the owner of the bike shop: "Look ahead of you."

Pushing off the ground, raising my feet, gliding balanced; right foot on the right pedal, left foot on the left; pushing down, pedaling slow, faster...I looked in the direction I wanted to go & tried to clear my crowded mind.

The result, smooth sailing!


Pedaling. Riding.
It felt amazing!!!

Husband kept reminding me to use my brakes, because I kept stopping myself in "Flintstone fashion".

After I got the hang, he raised my seat a little higher. I also switched gears once. I started/learned on 2 & switch to 3. I felt like I was working on 3, so I went back to 2. Ha!

I even managed to get the hang of making turns! It was "scary fun", because each turn felt like a near fall, with the bike leaning the way it did.


I'm not sure if I was doing it right, but I slowed down & pressed gently on the brake as I went into turns & my body leaned into it...kinda like you do driving a car (ever notice that...when drivers make turns, their heads kinda lean right/left...never mind)??? Someone please let me know if I have this wrong. I don't want to ruin my bike.

One of my last few rides around the empty parking lot, to my surprise, Husband captured me on (video) his phone.

We were/are majorly elated! Can't wait to hit some trails & bike paths...just in time for Fall Colors!!!


That evening, he took me out to a victory dinner & played this song for me.


"...Try and you’ll succeed...
Never doubt that you’re the one
And you can have your dreams!"


Fun, exciting, and at times, hilarious!
Easily...one of The Best Days of my adult life!


Video Credit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 29, 2011 at 12:47 AM , Blogger Just Daisy said...

OMG this post is so amazing like really one of these reasons why I enjoy your blog so much. It's so rich with content and these pictures and wow you shared so much with us it's so courageous.

I love these pictures, the video, I mean haha its all awesome :D

xoxo,
daisy

 
At September 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thank you Daisy:) Sometimes I think I'm rambling too much, but it's very nice to know when it's all well received!

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home