Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Learning to ride a bike as an adult: The bike.

We went back to the bike shop, the following week, stayed about 3 hours, and left with my new (and very first) bicycle!

It is an Electra Townie, AND I named it Blueberry.








When I left the shop the week prior, I tried to look optimistic, but honestly I felt defeated.

I talked to Husband, and explained how much I wanted this...how emotional it made me feel.

It made me think about growing up somewhat sheltered, and how I sometimes envied the other kids in my neighborhood who got to play outside; jumping rope, riding bikes, running, skating, etc. I played & had fun, but for the most part, it was all indoors. When I could go out to play, I had to stay inside the yard.
I didn't have a bike; never actually wanted, or even thought to ask for one; needless to say, I never learned how to ride one.

It wasn't until very recently that I became interested in cycling. I began to wonder what it felt like.
What was I missing?

After crying like a baby in my Husbands arms that Saturday morning, motivation found me. Before I just wanted to learn, but now, I felt like I had this personal mission...

Okay...had to break this post with a humorous (yet totally related) interlude. Ha, ha!


...so, we decided to buy me a bike for my birthday present!

I felt very safe & more comfortable on the Townie, so I researched it on the web.

I printed out a copy of the exact bike I wanted, so the bike shop could order it for me. They offer free basic maintenance for the life of the bike, when you purchase from them; so we'd purchase from them. Plus, I wanted to support GoodSpeed!


We went in & to our surprise, my bike was in-store!!! Yay for no wait! Only caveat was that the wheels were 2 inches bigger. This should make me feel safer, yet my mind could only think of it as, 2 more inches further from the ground.

We took the 3 speed Townie out to the parking lot once again, along with the 7 speed, to test ride which bike felt more comfortable to me.

I got on this time with confidence.

Again, just scooting around on the bike. Same as I did the week before only...

I pushed off the ground, raised my feet, and to my surprise glided several times. With each glide, I felt better; more confident that I could actually do it.  I wobbled a bit too, but I knew the Townie 7-speed was the one I wanted to take home.

These photos are from Day 1; the day we bought my bike. Husband & I went out to an empty parking lot to practice.

This was about as high as my feet ever left the ground & I never actually pedaled. Seat as low as it can go. Helmet for safety.

Video Credit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Chandra said...

Roll on .... Roll on!

 
At September 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

I'm rolling! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home