Oven roasted red & green bell peppers.
Cucumber. Grape tomatoes. Green onion. Pepperoni. Fresh chopped basil. Fresh chopped oregano. Feta cheese. Tri-color rotini pasta.
Last time I made this pasta salad, it was ruined...ruined by a red wine vinegar dressing that was far too acidic.
This time, I cut out the vinegar & made a simple lemon dressing. Perfect amount of tart!
Here's the Recipe:
1 ½ cups uncooked rotini pasta (cooked al dente, drained, and cooled)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
½ of one cucumber (thinly sliced)
2 green onions (thinly sliced)
15 grape tomatoes (sliced in halves)
1 tablespoon fresh oregano (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh basil (thinly chopped)
4 ounces tomato basil feta cheese (I used Athenos brand)
1/8 lb pepperoni (chopped)
Juice of 1 lemon
Equal part extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• Oven roast peppers whole (stems left on) in 375 degree oven for about an hour, rotating them every 20 minutes. Let cool on cooling rack for about 20-30 minutes. Peel off the skin, carefully, slice open (into 3 pieces) & remove the seeds & the stem. Stack the cuts of pepper & slice them thin. Cut lengthwise once, and toss into a large bowl.
• Add pasta, cucumber, tomatoes, oregano, basil, cheese, and pepperoni to the bowl.
• Whisk dressing ingredients together & add a little more than half of it to the salad.
• Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
• Allow salad to sit outside the fridge a few minutes before serving. The olive oil tends to solidify when chilled.
The remaining dressing can be added to “sauce up” any leftovers.
Just keep it refrigerated.
Oh, and you don't have to roast the peppers; just chop them raw & add them in. It was a cool enough day for me to turn on my oven, so I did.
The roasted peppers were so good in this salad though; aromatic & sweet!