Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, By Mark Haddon

Unique. Irritating. Sad. Interesting. Very irritating. Weird.
This book was all of the above. 

I picked it up while perusing Borders, a few years ago. It was right off the back of reading two other National Bestsellers; both of which, I loved. I read the summary, wasn't attracted to the story, but figured I'd continue riding the Bestsellers book train. It hadn't steered me wrong yet.


I started reading, and soon felt thoroughly annoyed with the main character. He is a teenager with autism, trying to solve the mystery of the death of his next door neighbors dog. To me, he just wasn't likeable, at all. Aren't main characters suppose to be?



As a reader, I think I'm suppose to feel compassion and recognize that this is a boy with a disorder; a boy who can't help the way he is. While this was sad to me, I just couldn't get past his constant "groanings".
Every time he groaned, I groaned.
That annoyed me the most.

I read on because the book had diagrams & illustrations (love when blocks of type are broken up with these kinds of things), bits of humor here & there, and was an overall engaging read.

Although I didn't love it, the book is like none other that I've ever read; the way it makes you think & feel...weird.
Again, I had just finished reading 2 love stories before this, so The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time threw me completely.

I appreciated the clean cover design though! Perhaps the reason I picked it up in the first place...the cut-out was interesting, and the orange color screamed "Read me, I'm so exciting!!!".

Right.

I'd have to read this one again (without reading any other fiction at least a couple weeks prior to) to fully appreciate it & understand why it was so popular, but I'm not sure I want to.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger socialitedreams said...

there's always that one book that leaves you scratching your head, in wonder and frustration


Vonnie of Socialitedreams.com

 
At August 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM , Blogger Monique said...

this was one of my book club pics and i opted out that month. i work with young children on the spectrum and should def read this. i read the first chapter and wasn't hooked. perhaps i'll pick it up one day. thanks for the review

 
At August 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Hey Vonnie:)

No problem Monique:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home