Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Albacore Sandwich.

It's probably been decades since I've had a tuna sandwich.

Quick question.
Is anyone else allergic to fish, with the exceptions of tuna & shrimp??? 
You all don't know how much I love & miss the taste of deep fried buffalo catfish...flavorful, crispy cornmeal battered crust...tender, juicy white fillet...and a couple of dashes of original Louisiana hot sauce.
Sigh:(
I digress.

Longing for some kinda of fish, coupled with it being too hot to really cook anything, I ventured back to the Chicken of the Sea. Not as exciting to the taste buds, as catfish; but it was pretty good.



This recipe is egg-less (which is perfect, as I don't really care for hard-boiled egg whites in salads. Yolks I love, especially in potato salad.) & gets better the longer you allow the flavors to marry in the fridge. I made this a day in advance, but it seems the flavors were greater on Day 2.

There's a little tangyness & freshness from the lemon juice & a little sweet from the relish. Next time, I'll probably add more Tabasco, for a little more kick.


Here's the Recipe: (adapted from food.com, by Kittencal)
3 (5 ounce) cans solid white tuna
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 small stalk celery, finely diced
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
3 drops Tabasco sauce
seasoning salt (to taste)

• Drain the tuna & squeeze out any excess moisture
• Place in a bowl & flake with a fork
• Add in all remaining ingredients & mix until well combined
• Cover with plastic wrap & chill for at least 2 hours (more is even better!)
• Serve salad on toasted wheat bread with lettuce &/or tomato
Devour!


I wanted to try making a tuna melt, but didn't. I never had one before, and I have a hard time imagining warm tuna salad + melted cheese together.
Do you like tuna melts? Do you add grilled onions, like on a patty melt? What kind of cheese is good?


I must add that I can't even think about tuna, without also thinking about Miss Gerri!
Skip to 5:11, and watch the hilarity...LOL



Why'd she stomp his sandwich like that?! LOL

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 23, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Jhan said...

I enjoy tuna sandwiches, especially from Panera. I've always wanted to try making one on my own, so thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely be trying it when the school semester begins.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Jhan: Cool! You're welcome:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home