Tuesday, July 19, 2011

9 to 5 Escapism.

In college, I was kinda excited about the possibilities of a 9-5. It seemed so..."grown up"; graduating college, starting a career in your field, moving up the corporate ladder, and decades later...retirement.
It sounded alright to me at the time.

Not many years later...I began pondering the possibilities of self-employment; being your own boss, owning your time, controlling your income, and complete freedom to do exactly what you love. This sounded even better!

Several weeks ago...I picked up this book. The 4-Hour Workweek, by Timothy Ferriss. It talks about a thing called, lifestyle design. The book supposedly teaches you how to trade a "long-haul career" for "short work bursts and frequent "mini-retirements", amongst other lessons.

My interest was indeed piqued!
Who doesn't want to work less & enjoy more...life!



The book begins with a brief FAQ, for the doubters.
How'd he know??? LOL
It reads that you don't have to quit your job, be a risk-taker, be a single 20-something, have a desire to travel, be born rich, nor be an Ivy League graduate.

Hmmm...

The book goes on to mention the "Deferrers"...those who save it all for the end (i.e., retirement) only to find that life has passed them by; and the "New Rich".
The "New Rich" are those who abandon the deferred-life plan and create luxury lifestyles in the present, using time & mobility.

Interesting.
I'm on chapter 3.

I'm a dreamer, but I'm a skeptical dreamer...
Lifestyle design...have you heard of it?
Please share your thoughts with me. I'm interested!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I want that! I so really don't want to work anymore, especially 2 jobs.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 6:25 AM , Blogger justme said...

I have that book. I read it a while ago before my semi retirement but didn't understand it. Maybe I should read it again. I believe in that way of life. Do think he came from a family with better than average means so I think us average folk would have to sacrifice and decide what's important to us, but I do think it's totally do able and god willing, something I can continue. You have to think outside the box though.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

JT: I want it too! LOL

Justme: I was wondering about his background & if that indeed helped him "comfortably" design his chosen lifestyle. He did assure the reader that they didn't have to be born rich...
I do think it's like you said; doable.

I'm learning that lifestyle design doesn't have to mean jet-setting & luxurious living if you don't want it to; it can be whatever you design it to be.
Thanks for chiming in here!

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home