Thursday, June 30, 2011

Therapy is in the Air.

Being a perfectionist is like living your life, whilst holding your breath. Whether it's conscious or not, you inhale & immediately begin concentrating so deeply on being perfect, that you forget to exhale. You walk on eggshells & tip-toe around the spilled yokes called "mistakes"; often times so others won't see you for what you are...

...human.

Yes, I have to break it to you.
You ARE human.
Do you know what we humans do?
We breathe.

Breathe!
Go on...
Inhale deeply, right now, and slowly release the carbon dioxide. Close your eyes & do it again. Let go of the self-pressuring stress.
Doesn't that feel better?

No human has it all together like you imagine, even if it appears that they do. We are all capable of committing mistakes...capable of causing problems...capable of getting & doing it wrong; often times, we do.

It's okay.
It really is.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At June 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Blogger gorgeousgab said...

"Perfectionism is an illusion" - I VERY often have to remind myself this one

 
At July 1, 2011 at 2:52 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you for this message. I have to remind myself that it's ok to make mistakes and that the ones who matter will still love me, flaws and all.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Stephanie: You're most welcome:)

 
At July 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Chrissy Mazer said...

There are definitely aspects in my life that I want to be perfect. Having a one year old tearing through the house after me and arranging things as he sees fit has definitely taught me that trying to achieve perfection is not only exhausting but impossible.

I took those two deep breaths and it really felt good. I need to write that on a sticky note and stick it to the wall above my desk.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Chrissy: Yay...glad this helped you in some way:) I used to have a sticky note on my desk that read, "Take a breathe". It was a great reminder to have!

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home