Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shouldn't you get paid, to do what you love?

"Often times we just give our talents away." These words came from a family member & stuck in our minds. Husband and I knew & understood them, completely.

How many times have you accepted a low-ball salary just to get the job, when you knew your talents deserved a higher pay?
How many times have you done something with your talent for another person in exchange for $, and you knew in your gut that what you were offering warranted $$, or even $$$?
How many times have you given "the family/friend discount"?

It is truly a challenge to look at yourself, determine your (monetary) worth, realize that you are worthy of it, and then ask for it. With so many factors to consider: your gift or talent, skill level, education, experience, living expenses of your desired lifestyle...your time & effort, it can be extremely difficult to gauge the total value & convert that into a number.



But, don't fret. It's not impossible. Just don't ask yourself anymore how much they are willing to pay you. They are always looking to pay you the least amount possible, but is it worth your time? Is it worth your efforts?
Instead, ask yourself, "What do people (who are getting paid fairly, or more than fairly) with your same level of talent/skill/education/experience charge or make"?

Sometimes we feel like, if we love doing something, it doesn't warrant getting paid. I say, unless it is your personal preference to keep your passion a hobby; why not make some money? Why not take it a step further & make what you love doing, your life's work?
Why (unless you need to) get a second, or third job on the side to pay the bills when your talent has the potential to earn you more than enough?

Get paid for doing what you love to do & get paid fairly!
You are good enough. You are talented. You are beautiful. You are smart.
You are worthy.

And yes, people do like you.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At June 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Blogger socialitedreams said...

awesome post girl! this one makes so much sense. have to know your worth!

Vonnie
http://www.socialitedreams.com/

 
At June 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Kay @LoveNWright said...

The plain ole truth! Internally, I think in my mind (who doesn't!) I want to help as many people as I can and so I give more of myself without asking for something in return. I noticed you equated money with my self worth, but often times I am willing to barter for the things I do. A ride here, a meal there, possibly a clothing exchange are all things I am willing to accept. I am not materialistic, so money doesn't make me happy, however time, concern and development does.

And so I vere off topic to say that maybe a part of me is afraid of asking for money because I am not sure of their response. Possibly rejection awaits my "that'll be..." and in stead of requesting a fee I am happy that they asked me for my services. Or, they need my services, but I am aware of their circumstances and thus I downplay my needs for theirs. Some happy medium has to be found and it doesn't include discount, but possibly a flat fee!

 
At June 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Sy said...

Seriously lady, get out of my head! A potential employer JUST asked me this question. And I sat there thinking, how high should I go? Am I thinking too big? Will they hear my asking price and think that they're better off with the other guy? But you are so absolutely right. I'm worth it, and if they're not willing to pay, then it's on to the next one. Awesome post!

 
At June 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Wow, you are really speaking to me right now. I find myself doing that all the time. Especially when it comes to friends and family. They commend me on the amazing job that I do, but don't want to pay me what I deserve. I then have to explain to them why it cost so much to do what I do, and they still don't want to pay lol. I have recently made the decision that I will no longer be doing friends or family discounts.
My passion is my business and livelihood, and why shouldn't I be compensated accordingly for it? Thanks so much for posting this!!!

 
At June 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thanks ladies!
I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts on this. I write posts like this mainly for self-motivation, in the hope that someone else could relate & also find inspiration. I'm so glad you found something in here that spoke to you. It inspires me to write more.

Kay: I understand completely. Bartering is an awesome way to find that happy medium, depending upon the persons circumstance & what you are willing & happy to accept in return for your talents/effort. It sounds like you are happy in your exchanges & that's what matters:)
The problem is when we ask for or accept less than what we deserve & inwardly feel regret or like we've just been taken advantage of.
I probably should have stated this more clearly in the post, but I meant (monetary) worth in direct relationship to jobs & entrepreneurship/small business.

Sy: LOL I've had an experience very similar to yours, but unfortunately undersold myself in the hopes that they wouldn't go with the other guy:( No more.
I mean...who knows how high or low the other guy is actually going???
"Think big, go high or go home!" should be my motto from now on. LOL
What if the job turns out to be difficult and/or stressful? We'd end up kicking ourselves because we're stressed out & underpaid! LOL

Angie: Oooh, what is your business??? I'm being nosy now...LOL
It is a tough one; conducting business with family as customers, because...well, they are family & will remain connected to you long after the business transaction has been made.
Nevertheless, it's never fair to be taken advantage of, because of kinship.
Good for you, for making the decision:)



Keep the responses coming...and if you like, do share this blog post via Facebook.

 
At December 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Blogger The Retro Natural said...

I dig your blog! I really enjoy graphic design but I'm not 100% sure if I wanna do it full time or just sporadically..freelancing is nice because I get to kinda test the waters. Same thing with performing, I'm finally testing it out a bit and so far it's fun, I'm getting closer to doing more of the things I enjoy and I'm seeing that I can be paid for doing them, it's pretty cool!

 
At December 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

That's awesome Retro Natural & Thanks; glad you like:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home