Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sauteed Kale Greens.

My favorite greens are mustard, but I decided to try cooking kale; without boiling them.

I read that kale greens have a lot of healthy nutrients, so I searched for a nifty little recipe that didn't have a very long cooking time. I'm used to boiling greens, but no longer want to prepare them this way. I need me nutrients!



Here is the Recipe: (adapted from food.com,  by Kozmic Blues)

1 1/2 lbs kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper

• Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
• Add a couple dashes of crushed red pepper flakes, and let them sizzle a bit in the oil.
• Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored.
• Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine.
• Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
• Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all (most) the liquid has evaporated.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Devour!



Optional:
The original recipe calls for 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. I omitted this, as I didn't really want that tart taste.


Overall, the kale wasn't bad!
Kale greens are a bit tougher & have a bit more bite than mustard greens; so, the second time around, I couldn't help but add a couple strips of finely chopped, cooked bacon. I served it with sweet cornbread & a couple of shakes of Louisiana hot sauce. Comfort yum!


* I should mention that sauteed greens (especially cooked for 5 minutes) are not nearly as soft as greens that have been cooked for hours. They are tender, but slightly crisp. You can saute them longer, just add more broth or water; so they won't burn.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM , Blogger ♥ StylisHedForeVer said...

This looks delicious! I wish I could make it :(

 
At June 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Stylishedforever: Thanks! Why can't you?

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home