Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Just because. . .

I feel like rambling...
For Father's Day, I made this for my dad. I also made some baked beans & potato salad. He enjoyed it, as well as the rest of my family. I love my dad so much (he taught me how to cook!); and I love cooking for my family. Recipes to come for the baked beans, and the salad...just in time for Independence Day!


If you are following the blog, Thank You so much!!! I appreciate you all, and I have a little giveaway coming up for you:)


Thank you Neeta, for the suggestion you gave me awhile back about fitted skirts! I went to my local thrift store & found some true treasures! 4 very nice skirts, for ten bucks; 3 of which are pencil skirts. I feel quite grown in them:) Hooray!

I might do a couple of "haul" post, as I took a second trip back to the store just a few weeks later. I also picked up a few things from Amazon, Ulta, & Walmart.
I love shopping! I hadn't been in a long while.
Thrift store shopping is especially fun; I think I might of mentioned that I love digging through disorganized racks to find nice stuff. Not to mention, the prices are always right;)
My sisters & I (and our mom) are planning to get together for a "Day of Thrifting"! Goodwill, Salvation Army, Village Outlet...Watch out there now!!!


I have 2 home projects I want to get done before the end of summer; sewing new covers for my couch & love seat pillows, and printing out/framing/hanging a few of my (& Husbands) favorite/best photos.

I really dislike having so many great photos (especially of us), sitting unseen, on our external hard drive. It makes me think if we should really take as many photos as we do, especially when we travel. It's like, we aren't really experiencing all we can in the moment; because we are busy (first, protecting the camera & second) taking hundreds of photos for later; just for sake of "remembrance"?
How does that work; if we only see the photos, if we first turn on the hard drive??? 
It makes me miss the convenience of disposable cameras...somewhat. At least with them, you made sure to get the photos printed.
Do you take a lot of photos when you are out & about, or when you vacation?
What else could you do with photos, to see & enjoy them more often?


Gosh, I really want to wear some bright lipstick; but I'm not sure how my skin will react.
Every time I think about getting into makeup, there's this circle of thoughts that go something like this:
Ooh, that is a really pretty color! I want to try it! 
But...I can't really try that bright lipstick, without evening out my face first. It won't really look right. Okay, I'll just get my feet wet & buy a good tinted moisturizer. I hope it doesn't irritate my skin. Ugh, but what if it does? It's too hot! What if I really like it??? I'll want to wear it everyday. That means, I'll have to wash it all off every night. 
Never mind.


Let's see...what else???...
Oh, I got my ears pierced yesterday. No shame:D


Whew...my brain feels better when I release some of these thoughts!
How are you doing today?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At June 21, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Anonymous LoveNWright said...

I would have to say that I am not only addicted to Thrift store shopping, but there is no other way that i can shop!! When I go to the department stores, I feel like I'm being robbed!! Unless I have a gift card, I just can't pay full price, sales price or clearance fo that matter! Sometimes.

Photos. yes, I too have a million and 1 photos that are sitting in "storage." Currently we are renting a house and my fiance is constantly stating that he doesn't want to decorate because it would be pointless. I personally disagree and would be interested in decorating with hardware. I'd really love to create a collage somewhere of our photos...I've even thought about a coffee/entry way table with different accessories and photos. I see how I want to decorate, but in due time. Not to mention, this house doesn't have an entry way...I live for my entry way hall and hardwood floors!!! To dream is to live..

Make-up...I don't think I wear a lot of make-up, but as I go to type this..maybe I do...During the school year I wear eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, blush and carmex on my lips. However, in the last 2 weeks I've turned and started to wear a tinted moisturizer, eye liner, mascara and a dash of mascara. And even if I don't wear make-up I was my face because of all the toxin I may have been exposed to throughout the day. I say go for it...you will have to wash your face each night anyway!! It's summer time, go for it!

 
At June 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Neeta said...

Marie, I appreciate the shout out!!! I'm so stoked about your thrift store finds! I love thrift stores and consignment shops. As you know I find some awesome deals!
I’m hoping you will post your home projects soon! I want to make myself some curtains for the office/guest bed room! I’ve made them before when I was a sophomore in college so I hope I can still do it! Not sure when I will make them but it will be soon hopefully.
Photos: I had to comment about the photos! Go to shtterfly.com. They have these photobooks you can put your photos in. You pretty much find the style you want and then add the photos onto the book however you want them. You preview your photo book and they’ll mail you the finished copy! It’s fun and easy! We had sooo many engagement pics on disc so I just made an engagement book through shutterfly. We do this so that we can see them more often. Everyone loved how professional the book looked and how nice the pics look inside. I might post our photo book on my blog soon. I plan to start doing this for our travels and holidays. I’m actually the total opposite with the camera. I normally forget to bring the camera and when I do bring it, I’m so caught up in the moment that I forget to take the pic. I wish I would remember to catch more moments for later.
Makeup: You know how I am about makeup. You just made me think of a subject I am working on posting soon. It’s about makeup. I’ve started taking baby steps toward a little makeup. I found a nice foundation by Clinique. I actually don’t use it on my whole face, just spots where there’s some discoloration from acne scars. It’s called Even Better. It’s actually very light. My skin is very sensitive and anything makes it itch or bump up, even the wrong moisturizer. I guess it’s safe to say their products don’t irritate the skin at all (in my opinion). I also tried a brighter gloss by Clinique that I wore on my wedding day. I actually like it and wear it pretty often when I’m on a date with my Hubby. I’ll be posting something soon. We seem to be about the same complexion so I think if it works for me then it’ll work for you too. I might do a before and after photo too.

 
At June 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM , Blogger gorgeousgab said...

I LOVE thrifting. It's addictive. :)

When out & about I love taking photos however I don't always remember to bring my camera or charge the batteries which t's me off a bit. But I digress. I usually categorize them and hoard them away, showing off my few few favorites. And I also do candid moment drawings & I use pictures for reference, so yeah. That's it. Pictures have a very strong sentimental value for me

Lipstick! I'm not really a makeup girl and lipstick is quite the bold statement. I own a few sticks but I never wear them. Except one which is a very neutral matte shade you can barely tell Im wearing it

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Kay: I know that "being robbed" feeling; when shopping at department stores. I went to Nordstrom a couple days ago. LOL
As a fellow renter, I understand both sides: It's your home, but it's not "your house".
I will go for the makeup, if you go for the decorating...LOL Just teasing. I will not cause tension in someone elses home.

Neeta: No prob!
Not sure when I'll get around to completing the projects to post the results. Priorities:( LOL I really want to have them both done & shared before Sept. We'll see:) I went to the thrift store hoping to find some nice thick (curtain/drapes) fabric to clean & cut down for my pillows. No luck on the first visit, but I didn't come out empty handed;)
Thanks so much for the info on Shutterfly!!! Sounds very interesting. I will look into it.
Your skin sounds a lot like mine. I might have to look into Clinique as well...
Looking forward to reading your makeup post:)

Gorgeousgab:
It's cool that you categorize your photos & use them as references for drawings. My DH also does drawings from photos. This is a very neat idea; maybe I'll ask him do large ones to frame & hang instead of the photos! I'd do it, but it takes me much longer to do illustrations. If only stick figures were glamorous...LOL.
Why don't you wear your lipsticks girlie?

 
At June 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger gorgeousgab said...

That's precisely what I do. I take a normal size digital photo and redo it with pencil/ink color but on a much larger scale. 2 -3X larger than the original. Just because I enjoy drawing, the challenge. Many get framed. I enjoy doing them as gifts.

Lipstick: It's so BAM in your face "Look at my lips!!!" Maybe I just haven't found the right shade. Heehee. ^_^

 
At June 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Gorgeousgab: That's really cool!
LOL about the lipstick. I get it.

 
At June 26, 2011 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Jhan said...

1) I can't wait to read your haul post!
2) I take tons and tons of pics as well, and they all end up in the photo graveyard. I kind of like my blog b/c I get to share some of them with others who read, but that can become overwhelming at times... I would suggest something like a digital photo frame. You can purchase it on Amazon or Ebay. With a digital photo frame, you can add photos to it, and the frame will go through them like a slideshow. I think it's a fun idea b/c you can walk through your house/apartment at any given time and see which photos are being shown at that time. you can also switch up the pics every few months or so.
3) I also admire the way lipsticks look on other people and would like to try it out myself. I wish there was a way of testing them out. It's nice to do swatches on your hand or arm, but 9/10 times, arms are way lighter than your face so it doesn't really give a genuine idea of the look. I would suggest that you go for it, Marie. Start off with one color and then work your way up. :-)

 
At June 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Jhan: Thanks for the tip about the photo frame. I saw some in a store awhile back & thought they looked pretty cool! And thanks for the motivation to try the lipstick...we shall see;)

 
At June 29, 2011 at 5:03 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Marie, I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for sharing.

I also have the photo problem and thought of doing the same thing as LoveNWright: a collage.
It will be a fun project to achieve this summer.

And as for the lipstick, I bought my sister (who rarely wears colored lipstick) an orange lipstick last month after she tried it on in a Sephora store. It makes her look so GLAM. So you should go for it!!!

 
At July 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Sy said...

A photographer friend of mine had one of her pieces made into a painting which, I thought, was pretty awesome. As for bright lip colors, I'm a little hesitant about them myself. There's a product that I'm dying to try though. OCC cosmetics dot com has something called "Lip Tar". They go on easily like lip gloss but the color and longevity is like lipstick. And it's 100% vegan. Which is pretty awesome.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Hey Stephanie: Glad you liked it!

Hi Sy: I love the idea of turning photos into art! Thanks for sharing. Off to look into this "Lip Tar"...sounds very interesting:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home