Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What Is Your Calling?


I watched Oprah's Final Show...tear. Tears.

So touching. 

On the final Oprah Show, Oprah spoke about everyone having a calling. She then encouraged viewers to figure out what their calling truly is, and then go about the business of doing it.

I've posted similar words here about everybody having a gift to share with the world, and I truly believe this

What is your gift? 
The hardest part is either figuring this out, or, getting started on making it happen. For some people, both of these things are difficult. For others, it is all so simple.

For me, I now know what my gift is, and I've been taking baby steps to get there & own it. It is exciting. It is scary. It IS work. I know I don't have all the answers, but I refuse to waste anymore time being bound by fear.



I am a designer. I know I'm good at what I do, and I enjoy doing it. 
The talent of design was put in me for a reason. A very similar talent was given to my husband for a reason. God IS Love! 
He saw this...knew this, long before we ever had a clue...long before my husband & I were married...long before we met as Art majors in college...long before my parents steered me to attend THAT college, when I was planning/wanting to go out-of-state...long before everything. He knew. 

Before watching Oprah today, a series of inspiring/motivating events happened this past weekend that lead us to finally act on something we'd merely been thinking/talking about doing for years...starting our own design studio.

What is your calling? What is your gift
Did you watch the show?

I also love what Oprah said about worthiness on her final episode. She said:
“There’s a difference between thinking you deserve to be happy and knowing that you are worthy of being happy. That never became more clear to me than the episode with Iyanla Vanzant this year…What I got was, we can all block our own blessings because we don’t feel inherently good enough, or smart enough, or pretty enough. The show has taught me that you’re worthy because you were born and you are here. Your being here, and being alive, makes you worthy. You alone are enough.” - vybeyard.com
Photo Credit.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At May 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Anonymous Neeta said...

Wow...This message has hit home. I'm that one who has struggled to find my calling....still searching for it. I know what I love to do. I love to teach(college level), which I do part-time and I know I'd like to do something with home decor/organization, but not quite sure yet. Hopefully, I will find my calling soon.....This was a great post!

 
At May 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

That is so the truth but it can be hard to accept. I have a hard time accepting that idea, it waxes and wanes for me. I would love for it to be a constant but I haven't grown into that yet. Yet, it is something that I'm working on.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Neeta: I appreciate you sharing what you love to do:) The home decor sounds like fun. For awhile, I was really getting into the Nate Berkus Show. Had to tune out for awhile, as watching makes me want to rearrange furniture, paint, re-purpose furniture, and go antique shopping for unique home doodads all in one day...inspiration overload! LOL Thanks!

Jt: I appreciate you sharing your experiences with this. What makes it hard to accept/inconstant, if you don't mind me being nosy? Just curious, no pressure to respond:)
I was watching the View & Barbara Walters said she didn't believe that everybody has a calling. I know the idea isn't everybody's belief & that's cool.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home