Sunday, May 22, 2011

Restaurant Quality Tomato Salsa...the Secret!

Yes! When my sister asked me how to make Pepe's Mexican Restaurant salsa at home, I couldn't wait to research recipes for a copycat...but, I hadn't had Pepe's in years.

I do remember some of my favorite Mexican restaurant tomato salsas though. They're always fresh & tomato-ey, with just a tad bit of heat. They are also served with warm, freshly fried tortilla chips. YUM! One day I will make my own tortillas from scratch, but will begin with this salsa.
So, what's the secret?




Canned tomatoes! 
I love fresh tomato salsa, but the surprise that hit my taste buds from this salsa made from canned tomatoes...it was THE BEST! It instantly reminded me of the salsa's I've eaten at restaurants.


Here is the Recipe: (adapted from food.com, by SaraFish)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (seeds/veins removed)
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 lime, juice of
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/8 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
(Optional) 2 dashes Tabasco sauce

• Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
• Pulse for just a few seconds for chunky salsa or a bit longer for a smoother texture.
• Serve with your favorite tortilla chips
Devour!


I totally forgot to add the Tabasco sauce but, it was fantastic without. I'll definitely add it in next time I make this...which will probably be this week. LOL

I'm loving my lemon squeezer. I used it to squeeze a half of a lime & got nearly 1/3 cup of lime juice from it. What a nifty little kitchen gadget!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home