Thursday, May 26, 2011

Your Gift & Calling: Finding Them.

To clarify yesterday's post, I don't think a gift, and a calling are the exact same thing.

To me, a gift is something you are naturally good at doing. It looks effortless when you do it & you enjoy doing it.
A calling is defined as a strong inner urge to follow an occupation.

Sometimes the two cross, and one's gift becomes their calling. Oprah.

So, how do you find one or the other?
I think a calling is easier.
You don't really find it at all. You just know!
You feel it. You feel a constant inner pull towards doing one specific thing.




Finding your gift requires asking yourself some questions, and then digging deep to find the answers.
• What raw, natural talent do you have?
• What can you do almost effortlessly? It just comes easy for you.
Think back to when you were in high school, elementary school, Pre-K, if you can remember; what were you good at doing?
• What do you do that other people often compliment you on?
• What individual qualities do you have that make you, uniquely you?
Ask the people around you what they think you're gift is...what they think you are most good at doing.

The answers might not make sense.
They might not all come to you in one day.
They might be all over the place, about seven different things, and it's hard to organize & combine them into one particular thing.

Don't worry.
What's important is that you start to think about it, so that when the answers become clearer, you can begin to act on them & work towards bringing your gift to life.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I have a gift for music. I have a good voice and I play 4 instruments proficiently.

I have a passion for history and social issues, esp familial roles and impact. I would LOVE LOVE AND LOVE to be a history teacher. I have a fascination with Slavery, Reconstruction after the Civil War, the Inca, Aztec, Egyptian and Sumerian societies. I read about that all day long. I love to talk about it to anyone who'll listen.

As a teenager I wanted to be an Archeologist and Anthropologist. I would do those jobs regardless of the money.

 
At May 28, 2011 at 11:27 PM , Blogger justme said...

I think this hard for someone who is good at a lot of things or who has been gifted with a lot of natural talents for many things, many of which they don't enjoy..I have many ,NY gifts for things which bore me to death or would make me insane to do on a regular basis. That makes it hard to find a passion. This def has given me something to think about over the next few days.

 
At May 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Jt: You're multi-gifted girlie! 4 instruments...WOW!

Justme: Thank you for mentioning this! Some gifts CAN be boring. Here's to finding something that you like/love to do:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home