Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Engrossing & Enchanting.


Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen

I must confess that I often judge books by their covers, and I love the looks of this paperback! Lovely story too.


It's been awhile since I've read this book.
I remember the first few chapters having a lot of characters, each with funny nicknames, and it was a bit tough keeping track of who's who. Nevertheless, I found it very interesting!  Even the animals (Silver Star and Rex) had personality and weren't boring...and I hadn't even gotten to the animal star of the story, Rosie; the elephant.

I also recall that the main character, Jacob, was upset at the dinner table by the retired lawyer, McGuinty, for making claims to have carried water for elephants at the circus.  He called him an "old coot"!  LOL I thought this and the entire exchange between the two men to be both believable and hilarious. I actually felt the melancholy and pain in Jacob.
In that instant, I was dying to know the intricacies and importance of carrying water for elephants.


Of course, it's not all about the animals & the circus; there is a niice love story involved too. Yay!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM , Blogger amy b.s. said...

i adored this book. i only hope the movie does it justice.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Tamia said...

I just reserved this at the library! This post came right on time...

Tamia
TheStyleSample

 
At April 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Me too Amy:)
Yay Tamia! Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

 
At April 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Blogger simplychic said...

i didn't read the book but i would like to see the movie. books with lots of characters frustrate me but maybe i'll give it a shot...

p.s. no clue what is up with photobucket. they just kept saying maintenance issues. i was not a happy camper...

 
At April 17, 2011 at 1:28 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Simplychic: I feel the same way, and I was initially frustrated; but, that soon went away:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home