Here is the Recipe: (adapted from food.com, by Rhonda J)
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk ( I didn't have buttermilk, so I squeezed 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice in a measuring cup & poured enough 2% milk to equal 1 1/2 cups of "improvised buttermilk". Stirred & let it sit for 5 minutes.)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 (of a 8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
• In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
• In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
• In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
• Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
• Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
• Stir in banana mixture.
• Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hr, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
• Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
• For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
• Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
• Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
• Spread on cooled cake.
• Sprinkle chopped pecans over top of the frosting.
* Please Note:
The original recipe says to bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Time really varies from oven to oven, so check that your toothpick comes out clean after 1 hour. If it doesn't leave it in a bit longer & check again after several minutes.
At the time I tried this recipe, my oven was having problems, so I baked at a higher temp, for shorter time. This worked fine for me & everyone who had a piece of this cake, said it was moist & delicious!
This recipe makes a lot of cake, so share with those you love. If you don't, it holds up really well (& gets even better) in the refrigerator, for about a week!