Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

With lunch and dinner, I have (thus far) successfully gave up the soda.
I drink water instead, sometimes a cup of orange juice with lunch.
With breakfast, I drink coffee. 1-2 cups, every day. Sometimes, but rarely 3. This third cup only happens when I'm in a groove & the 2 cups prior were excellently executed a la the "pour over" method.

Have you tried coffee this way??? Smooth & delicious!

Anywhoo...I've typed all about my love for this drink before; and now, I find myself at a crossroads.



I'm currently out of beans, and have yet to tell Husband to pick some up. He always buys the coffee! I've been thinking about giving it up for awhile.  

Why?

Well...I hear all the time (on the news) how coffee has certain health benefits, but my issue with coffee is that it gives me a false sense of energy and at the same time, depletes my (already insufficient) daily water intake.
I read that the caffeine in it prevents your body from making a chemical that tells your body, when it's time to relax. No wonder, I feel so uptight sometimes! LOL

I also just had my yearly physical and everything came back good, except my cholesterol.
My doctor says it's a little high, but can be brought back to normal by making some changes to my diet. He said to cut back on fatty red meats.
When I told him, that I don't eat a lot of red meat, he then told me what I didn't want to hear:
To cut back on dairy; cheeses, whole milk & cream, butter, and ice cream.  
Whaaaat!!!
He also suggested eating more vegetables, which was no surprise to me, and substituting 2% (or skim) milk for whole...cottage cheese for cheese...and frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

None of this sounded appealing. NONE of it...
except the frozen yogurt. YUM!

I love pasta...in a cream sauce.
Butter & cheeses get used the most in my kitchen.
I use Half & Half every morning in my cup(s) of coffee. The ingredients in it are obvious, right?...and yet, I just had to check the label. Reading the 2 sole ingredients listed on the back of my bottle, I instantly felt dumb...LOL,  "Cream & Milk".

Sigh.

I'm considering not only replacing soda with water, but coffee too.
...but, Where's the Joy in that???

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger justme said...

Oh you really should read those books then, just to give you another perspective. Especially maybe deep nutrition. I am not a doctor, but all I have read recently suggests the cholesterol tests we do now are inadequate and that people are starting to think carbs are the main cause of high cholesterol. Just to give a diff perspective. That way you can hear both point of views.

 
At March 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger justme said...

Ps what is pour over method. Also can you tell me a good quality grinder and how many tbsp per cup u use for fresh ground? I am always gifted good whole beans but I hated my grinder and I could never get the coffee to water ratio right. I think once I get a good quality grinder and get the ratios right I will be a total snob pulling my french press back out etc. I already make espresso the old fashioned way still and my dh even said it's good :)

 
At March 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM , Blogger gorgeousgab said...

In my teens I put on weight & then decided to change my eating habits & really learn about nutrition. I can honestly say I treat food as merely fuel (pun intended) now. I replaced all I was drinking for the calorieless water (spruce it up with lime, lemon, a cucumber- yeah you have to change your thinking. Diets don't work) And you might find the spike in H2O does wonders for your skin & hair. Do you drink the required 2 liters a day already? Anyway I love diary products too. But the Only thing I'm obsessive with is Cheeese! Cheese, I eat daily. Ice cream, not often. I drink at least a 8oz (measurment is key) of skim milk a day, I prefer the taste. I like whole but it's a bit much on it's own, no? Like drinking cream. Lol. But in all seriousness you have to change your views on food in general. It sounds like a comfort thing for you, find a new comfort & put food in perspective. For your health. And use goodies as rewards for major accomplishments.

 
At March 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Justme: Thanks! I may just pick up that one from the library.
The pour over method is like the simplest/purest way to make coffee (that I know of). You basically put ground coffee inside a filter & pour hot water over it. What comes out is a cup of heaven! LOL There are variables involved to get it just right. Like wetting the filter first to remove any dust/paper particles that might effect the flavor of your cup, the temperature of the water & "how" you pour it...there's a method to this.
I have the Cuisinart Supreme Grind. It is a "burr" grinder, which (at the time I researched to buy a quality grinder) was the best to get. It's supposedly more consistent than blade grinders; both in grinding & overall brew quality.
Get your "coffee snob" on! LOL

Gorgeousgab: You're right!
My thinking is key. I've always looked at vegetables & water negatively, and dairy/breads/sweets with such a positive eye. I have to change that, to get to where I want to be.
I don't usually drink whole milk, but use it, as well as Half & Half mostly in cooking. Thanks for sharing your experience & those tips on "sprucing up water"! The cucumber one sounds refreshing.

 
At March 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Oh...and lovely pun:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home