Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Virgin Beginnings & the Relaxed Ending: A walk down Memory Mane.

At 20 or 21 years old, I got my first relaxer. I had my hair pressed straight for years before then, so it made sense.




As a child, I did not know what a relaxer was. My mom would wash my hair, section it into 2, 3...sometimes 6 sections, and then proceed to braid each one. That was it. 
If I did not request barrettes to adorn the very ends of my braids, my mom would "tack" (her word for this hair method/style), them down with bobby pins.

Special occasion hair was a little bit different. She'd press it straight & curl the ends under. Some how, this style made me feel a bit prettier. 
But, in addition to wearing my hair down; I also got to wear a dress, tights, patent leather mary janes and ankle socks with bows on them. Pretty, right?! Ha! I loved getting dressed up.


When I got old enough to press my own hair...I did it virtually everyday. Horrible, I know. But, all I cared about was having the straightest hair possible. Needless to say, all the burning pressing, ruined my hair. 
Not much changed for the "hair health" better, after trading in my pressing comb, for a flat iron.


I soon grew tired of having to manually straighten my hair (daily in the summertime, because my hair would puff up & the roots would revert to the highly textured); so after mulling it over for what felt like months, I got my hair chemically straightened for the very first time.


2007 was when I first discovered a lady on the WWW, named Macherieamour. She had thick, long, pretty, relaxed hair down her back, and I wanted the exact same. Following her, I found the online hair care boards/forums. From there, I learned how to take exceptional care of my hair. It grew from neck length to arm pit length in 2 years. I was ecstatic!

See a photo of my hair in 2007 here. If you haven't already, please give the page a "Like":)









2009, I finally had the hair I dreamed about:

• Hair that blew in the wind
• Hair that bounced when I walked
• Hair that I could toss & flip over my shoulders
• Hair that I could twist & wind around itself a couple times to make a bun
• Hair that I could pull back into a ponytail & swing back & forth
• Hair that some people pay for

So what lead me to cut it all off?...



The photos are all from 2009; a few months before & then right after my last relaxer. This is where I started back in 2007. 

If you're interested in knowing what I did during the time in between 2007 & 2009 (regimen, products, styles, etc.), just send me a message at merelymarie@gmail.com, and maybe I'll do a post on the subject.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM , Blogger simplychic said...

i definitely want to know your regimen. i've seen so many forums and blogs dedicated to natural hair, but not relaxed. perhaps i haven't looked hard enough.

check out my jewelry giveaway http://simplychic08.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-want-to-give-way.html

 
At February 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Retromus-ik said...

Your hair was lovely then and its lovely now:) What made you go natural?

 
At February 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Simplychic: Sure, I may do a post on it soon. If not, I'll send an email your way:)

Retromus-ik: Thank you! Just made a post on it;) Check out, http://www.merelymarie.com/2011/02/growing-out-my-relaxer-walk-down-memory.html

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home