Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Growing Out my Relaxer: A walk down Memory Mane.

I was in love with my relaxed hair!

Deciding to cut it all off was very tough!!!
I did not want short hair. I had just spent 2 years growing it, and that was the longest my hair had ever been. Not to mention, the healthiest (of all my years having a relaxer).

But, I had 17 reasons.




17 reasons why I didn't want it anymore.
I won't bore you with them all. But the very first, was this never fleeting urge to have virgin/unprocessed hair again.

When my "new growth" showed itself (because I'd go about 3 months before getting a relaxer touchup), I'd touch it & stare at it in the mirror, wondering what it'd look like, if I had it all over my head...just as long or even longer than my relaxed hair.


How would it feel to wake up with hair like that?!
In my heart, I knew it'd be beautiful.
Just as, if not more, beautiful.

I'd see women online & in real life with natural hair (rocking it), and would be afraid to look too long or make eye contact...for fear that looking would somehow convert me.
I'm so serious!!!
I was in denial about wanting it for myself. I did want it; but at the same time, I held on (firm) to the notion that my hair "looked better" relaxed.



The going back & forth was insane.

I weighed the pros & cons for months.
Ultimately, I didn't want another relaxer touch up. I never liked getting them anyway. Loved the results, but didn't want to go through the plethora of processes it took to process my hair pin straight & keep it in exceptional health at the same time.




And yet, I also didn't want to just chop off over 12 inches of hair.


Uncertainty!!!
I was certainly uncertain about what I was going to do.

As you may know, to go from relaxed to natural hair: you either, Big Chop (cut off all the processed hair at one time), or Transition (grow out the hair, and cut the relaxed ends off, either at a later date or every few months as new hair grows in).


So, I finally decided to wait.
I'd wait at least 2 or 3 years, so my hair would have plenty of time to grow out first. I'd trim off an inch of the relaxed ends, every three months, as an inch of virgin hair grew in. That way I could keep my length, which at the time, was a pretty big deal to me.



Well, I did this for about eight months...and couldn't wait anymore.

I was beyond excited!
Excited to see the hair I was born to have & the woman I was born to look like.



The photos are all during the grow out stages. Because I didn't care for wigs, weaves, extensions, or wearing my hair up; I did tons of braid outs to blend my duo-textured strands. I got bored & flat ironed once.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At February 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I love your coils! Sometimes I wish that my curls had more of a coil to them and I could rock amazing styles like you ladies with a tighter coil. I love you hair!

 
At February 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM , Blogger Retromus-ik said...

Love you hair!

 
At February 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Thanks ladies:)

 
At February 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM , Blogger NaJaDee said...

Great Post! So... I have decided to transition. I'm going on 3 months in. :-) We must talk!

 
At February 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Thanks & congrats Najadee:) Talk, we shall...

 
At February 6, 2011 at 1:56 AM , Blogger simplychic said...

you are so brave! i've gone from relaxed to natural before, but never did the BC. i just waited and waited until it was all grown out.


check out my jewelry giveaway http://simplychic08.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-want-to-give-way.html

 
At April 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM , OpenID Haile said...

I've just read your post and love it!! i've contemplated getting a relaxer over the last couple weeks because I'm due and after reading I've decided to go au natural!!

Thanks Marie!! I could really use some tips for survival during this process. what kind of styles did you wear in the beginning?

 
At April 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Hi Haile: Glad you enjoyed my post! Wow...Congrats!!!! How many weeks post are you?
I wore mostly braid outs throughout my entire transition. Feel free to email me. I'll be happy to help you, with whatever tips I may have.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home