Thursday, January 27, 2011

Egg-less, Anchovy-less Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons.


Sometimes I don't feel good about what I eat (like a 3 pack of Demets Turtles in one sitting). That is when I go make myself a huge salad!

It's been some time since I've had a caesar salad, so I made it for dinner one night & then lunch the next day.

Note: I will never buy store-bought croutons again! They are so simple to make. Here's how:


Take any bread you have in the kitchen (wheat, white, french, hamburger buns... Just whatever LOL) and brush it with melted butter or extra virgin olive oil. Then, decide what kind of flavored croutons you want and sprinkle on some seasonings. Garlic, basil, and oregano works nice with olive oil.

Here, I just used 1 slice of whole wheat bread, butter, garlic, & seasoned salt. I trimmed off the edges, because I don't really like sandwich bread edges. LOL

Chop the bread into crouton-sized pieces & bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. At 7.5 minutes, give the croutons a toss.

Cool for a few minutes. For that nice & crisp crunch in every bite, don't toss them in (like I did) with the dressing.

This dressing has a nice kick, with a very fresh lemon base. No raw eggs, and no anchovies. Not the traditional creamy caesar dressing, but tasty nonetheless!

Here is the recipe: (adapted from food.com by Roxygirl in Colorado)
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 lemon, juice of 
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce 
1 teaspoon dijon mustard 
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, shredded
sea salt 
coarse black pepper 

• Whisk all ingredients together & toss with chopped romaine hearts
• Add croutons on top
• Garnish with a bit more cheese
Devour!


This was quite filling for lunch, not to have any protein in it.
For dinner, (since Husband had to eat too) I added pan-seared chicken breasts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home