Friday, December 24, 2010

'Tis Time I Showed You The Door, Mr. Green-Eye.

Jealousy. It's such an ugly, depressing, negative, semi-fiery feeling of someone else having it better than you...Or worse, them having something you don't &/or will possibly never have.

I feel it more often than I'd like to. I'd like to not feel it at all. Genuinely Confident people. Financially-Free people. Beautiful people. Courageous people. People who live their best life.
Envying others does no good for me. In fact...Ouch!, it hurts me. It ONLY hurts me.

It's time I show ole Green-Eye the door out my life, and get new locks to prevent it's most unwelcome return.


Here's my plan to get it done:
Whenever I start to feel envious or jealous of someone else, instead of letting it build negatively (as it often does) in my mind, I now:

• Try to Turn It into Admiration
Applauding the other person, instead of (almost instinctively, it seems) clobbering them in my mind.
What a nasty thing to do; bashing others! Nevertheless, it happens, doesn't it?

• Go Get It
If I really want something someone else has, I confess to myself that I want it too; then, try and figure out how to get it. After all, What isn't attainable in this world?! It might not be easy, but if they got it, surely, I can get it too (less there's singing involved).
If it's confidence, I'll pray & study how to become more confident.
If it's someone's business venture, I'll try and find out (even better, contact them & ask) how they got their start.
If it's someone being multi-lingual, I'll pick up an audio or book to learn another language.
If it's some woman's long pretty hair,...I know I'll have to wait at least another 4 yrs. LOL

• Remember All that I Have & Be Appreciative
While I can talk, walk, hear, and see; there are many who can not. I have people around me that truly love & care about me. I have the necessary things to live (food, water, dwelling, etc.). I even have the not so necessary things to live comfortably (car, cell phone, etc.). What more do I really need???? When I really think about this, everything else I have is just "stuff"; truly an overabundance of "things" that add no real value to my life.

• Remember that the Grass isn't Always Greener
You never know what someone had to go through to get what they got. And, too, you don't know their path. Today, they may appear to have it all together, but where are they going???


If I'm still jealous after all this, I just steer clear of the thing that is making me feel envy. Out of sight, out of mind, right?. I stopped watching shows like "Extra" (very appropriate name by the way), and "Access Hollywood", etc. Husband was right about always feeling like you don't have enough after watching these type of shows.

How do you get past, or deal with jealousy? Do you get jealous?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At December 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM , Blogger justme said...

word... specially that the grass is not always greener. everybody has their s$#t to deal with. really. you can only do the best you can and keep it moving. look for the things that you are thankful for, lol for example. my bathroom is nice but small. rather than get jealous of others, if i want top of the line tile or something, i can do it and it won't cost a lot, LOL

 
At December 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Hey Justme: Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

 
At December 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

I applaud you for this and I should join you. The green eyed monster visits me from time to time but plays out differently. I don't dislike them but I'm very hard on myself for not having what they have. I like your plan!

 
At December 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Marie said...

Thank you very much JT! You're most welcome to come aboard & show the monster the door. LOL

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home