Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spilling the Beans: Coffee is Romance.


"I am addicted to the ritual of making it, the smell, sitting with the warm cup nursing it until it cools." -Justme.

A fellow blogger left these words (so eloquently), and I nodded my head in agreement as I read them. I was immediately inspired to write something about my saga with coffee.




I was about 9 years old when I had my first sip. My dad let me taste coffee from his mug. I remember it having no cream. Black coffee had an interesting taste. Not burnt nor bitter. Just...strong/robust?? Maybe it had sugar? I can't recall fully, the taste. But the smell...
I'll never forget that smell. It wafted through the entire house, and made me want to drink it again.

But, what is coffee to me now?

It is romance,...such a dreamy romance.
Cafe Au Lait. Cappuccino. Espresso. Peaberry Kona, or just a great cup of plain ol coffee. The thought of never having a cup again is too much to bear. I'm in love with the hot beverage sometimes called Joe (or is it Jo?). It warms me when it's chilly out, picks me up when I'm feeling sluggish, and places these images in my head...
...these tales of sitting in the cozy corner of this intimate coffee cafe, (for some reason, I'm always wearing a "Triple C" (CHIC, CLASSY, & CRISP) khaki trench coat and) inhaling the steam that rises from my caramel breve cappucino while sharing an interesting conversation with Hubby, or a "we must catch up" one with a person whom I haven't seen in awhile, or a "chick chat" with bubbly girl friends that I don't actually have. LOL!!!

Okay, reality.

I simply love coffee!
• The aroma of a new canister containing whole beans being opened.
• The taste; sampling a new blend or enjoying my everyday brew.
• I love it robust, creamy, smooth, and slightly sweet.
• The sound of my auto-drip as it exhales & brews; or even better, the percolator at my parent's house. It bubbles, and gurgles, and puffs steam:)
• The feeling of ease & slight anticipation pressing down the french press plunger, warmth & cozyness on a frigid winter morning, comfort hanging out, talking with family over coffee & some sweet eats.

Sigh.
Love.
Happiness.
Peace.

Wow! I'm officially done rambling now.

Hey, chime in and tell me something...anything about coffee!
Do you like, don't like? Remember your first taste?
Favorite blend or specialty drink?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM , Blogger jtbrown said...

My first taste was at the beauty shop when I was like 9 or something. My mom was mad when she found out and told me not to drink it again. I like iced coffee w/ cream, caramel syrup and 3 Splenda. I rarely drink hot coffee unless it's really cold outside or I have no other choice but I like it the same hot as cold. Although, the smell is divine.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Marie said...

It's funny...I rarely drink iced coffee, even if it's hot & humid outside. I'll go find some A/C, to have a hot drink of coffee.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home