Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Egg Foo Young.


I decided not to deep fry them, and had lots of trouble
making them heaping round like most restaurants do.
Nonetheless, this was my attempt at egg foo young.



Pork chops, bean sprouts, and lots of chopped
green onion were added to 5 lightly beaten eggs.
A bit of soy sauce and sea salt went in too.

I spooned the mixture into my skillet and pan fried in a couple
tablespoons of oil. Upon contact, the eggs ran and sprawled all over
the place, making the patties look very flat.
This frustrated me to no end.
I wanted the perfectly round, puffy shapes that I had growing up
whenever we made "Chinese" food for dinner. (Yes, at times I'm that finicky.)
Anyway, I was huffing and puffing until I flipped over the first patty.



I was instantly relieved, because it was then that
I realized that the shape would not affect the taste.

Surprisingly, it tasted no different than it did when we'd deep fry in a wok
filled with corn oil. Simple & delicious. I served it with an equally simple gravy
(chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch/water slurry) over plain white rice.

Here is the Recipe: (adapted from Recipezaar, by Lorac)
5 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup green onions (finely chopped)
1/2 cup pork chops (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
cooking oil

• Mix all ingredients into a bowl
• Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet
• Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into the hot skillet
• Push the edges to shape the patty
• Let brown, then flip over to cook the other side (about 2-3 mins. per side)
You can cook 2 patties at a time. It made 4 patties for us.

Egg Foo Young Gravy

1 cup of chicken broth (I used Better than Bouillon Chicken base)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

• Blend cornstarch and water in a cup
• Heat broth and soy sauce in a small pan
• Add cornstarch mixture
• Stir until sauce thickens

• Spoon over the egg patties 
Devour!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger LaNeshe said...

Looks sooo good!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Thanks girlie:)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have used a little flour to help it hold its shape...

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM , Blogger MerelyMarie said...

Anon: Thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home