Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cheddar and Monterey Jack Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese.


The craving struck me hard on a week night. I left work thinking about it constantly. Must. Have. Macaroni and Cheese. Must have it now.
But, how am I going to do it? Do I even have any macaroni at home??
Sigh.
I have to stop at the store. But, there's no time!
I have to stop at the store...

It was serious!

I love macaroni and cheese! I love it creamy. I love it cheesy. I love it best baked, but sometimes I don't have the patience to wait for deliciously creamy, cheesy, baked mac and cheese with perfectly seasoned tiny bread crumbs sprinkled on top. That is why I'm on a constant look out for effortless, quick, stove top mac that tastes somewhat close to the real deal.



This was pretty good to have gone together in about 40 minutes. Probably could have cut 5-7 minutes by using pre-shredded cheese. I used a mix of mild cheddar, aged sharp cheddar, and monterey jack cheeses.



Here is the recipe: (adapted from Recipezaar, by Miss Annie)

1 3/4 cups dry macaroni pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 small clove of garlic (minced)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half or milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar, and/or monterey jack)
1/4 cup shredded cheese for garnish


• Cook macaroni pasta according to package or how you like (I love pasta cooked al dente)
• Melt butter in a sauce pan
• Add garlic and red pepper
• Cook for about 1 minute over medium heat
• Add flour, stirring constantly, and cook another minute
• Add milk and salt
• Continue stirring, bring to a simmer
• Simmer 2 minutes
• Reduce heat to low
• Stir in 1 cup of cheese
• Add in the cooked pasta
• Taste (add additional salt, red and/or fresh black pepper to suit your tastes)
• Cook 1 minute
• Serve immediately with additional shredded cheese
Devour! 



When the craving strikes on a week night, this is a pretty nice solution.
It was creamy. It was cheesy. The sauce clung on to the pasta.
It reheated fine the next day for lunch.
I could not have asked for more in 40 minutes time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Retromus-ik said...

Damn. I want some. Now. lol I adore cheese!

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home