Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ratatouille Andouille.

When I first saw Ratatouille, I was super inspired to make the dish!

While the ratatouille had me feeling pretty good about myself for eating several different veggies (and fruit), it was a bit nerve-racking to prepare for the very first time.
Why?
Because I had no real recipe.



I researched online, but discovered that there was no one way to prepare ratatouille. There was traditional ratatouille, stove top ratatouille, ratatouille that baked for 2.5 hours, ratatouille that baked for 30 minutes, ratatouille with sauce, ratatouille with garlic, olive oil & fresh herbs...

I threw my hands up and as silly as it sounds, used the animated imagery from the movie as a reference, and a bit of my imagination!


Using my food processor, I thinly sliced 1 small zucchini, squash, eggplant, red bell pepper, and 3 roma tomatoes. Layered them in a pan on top of a thin layer of store brand jarred tomato sauce. Sprinkled with creole seasoning, coarse kosher salt & black pepper. Drizzled on 1/2 tablespoon of melted butter, and topped with 2 fresh coarsely chopped garlic cloves. Next, I cut out a fitted sheet of parchment paper to cover the pan and put it into a preheated 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. I sauteed some cajun andouille sausage & served the ratatouille on a bed of white rice.

It was pretty good and pretty to look at (I spared you the other 30 something photos!) It had zing! It had flavor. It had heat, and it was truly a fun dish to make!

I confess that while I happily stuffed my face, I nervously picked around the slices of eggplant on my plate. I'd never eaten eggplant before. Once I finally got up my nerves to taste it, I was surprised that it was more texture than flavor. I kept hearing how bitter eggplant was, but it didn't taste bitter. It didn't really taste like anything. It was just this spongy texture.

Ever "free-style" a dish that you saw in a movie, or on television? How'd it turn out?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM , Blogger JIN @ Love,Loss + Lacquer said...

OH GOSH THAT LOOKS YUMMY!

 
At January 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Jhan said...

I. have. to. try. this!! (And, it really is good to look at).

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home