Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Olive Oil & Garlic Chicken Tenders.

My first experience cooking with and tasting olive oil was not a good one. In fact, it turned me off from using olive oil for a long time. Butter, margarine, lard, and corn oil were my unfailing staples. I could depend on these not transforming my food into something that tasted weird. I can't remember what I made with the olive oil or what brand it was. All I remember is an over-powering bitter, weird before and after taste. It was not good.



Since then, I've learned to use...
• Regular Olive Oil for cooking
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil in salad dressings & straight 
   from the bottle to serve with bread and cheese
• Better quality brands


Now that I think about it, I was probably standing in the aisle of the grocery store, just mind-boggled and slightly exhausted by the plethora of options available, and probably ended up buying whatever bottle had the most prettiest label promising me greatness for under $6.

After that bad tasting dish, and hearing Rachel Ray say "E-V-O-O" for like the 1,000th time...I later researched to find two decent brands that enhanced rather than overpowered my food. Colavita and Lucini both have very good & accessible extra virgin olive oils! I do try to catch them on sale though;)



Moving on...
I made these Garlic Chicken Tenders for dinner one night with oven roasted green beans & mashed potatoes. It made Husband ask me with the most serious look on his face, "What did you put on this Chicken?!". He liked it. A lot. LOL
Sometimes the most greatest tasting recipes are the simplest.

Here is the Recipe: (adapted from Recipezaar, by Marie.)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1/4 cup
italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated
parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
1
(approx. 1 lb) pack chicken tenders (9-10 strips)
Coarse kosher salt
black pepper

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

Line a 13 x 9 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. 
Stir garlic & extra virgin oil olive in small skillet. 
Warm over low heat for about 30 secs to 1 min. to combine flavors, then set aside to cool. 
Combine cheese, parsley, and bread crumbs in a large plastic food storage bag. 
Season the chicken with salt & pepper. 
Coat chicken in the garlic & oil mixture, then put into the bag of breadcrumbs and cheese. 
• Shake. 
Place coated chicken tenders on baking sheet. 
Bake for 30 minutes.
Devour! 


I love recipes where the oven does the majority of the work!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At February 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Jhan said...

Mmmm. This sounds delicious! I must try this recipe. I've grown quite tired of chicken lately.

 
At February 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Blogger LaNeshe said...

Looks good!

 
At February 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM , Blogger justme said...

im making em tonight, lol. i think i have enough cheese

 
At February 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Marie said...

Thanks everyone!!!
Justme: Cool...Let me know what you think:)

 

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated:) Thanks for sharing!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home