Easy Homemade Pizza: Preparing.
So, it's been at least a day since you've made the dough and it's been out of the refrigerator now for about 2 hours.
Now comes the fun part...the toppings!
• Shred some fresh mozzarella cheese or buy the already pre-shredded packages.
• Slice or dice fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, or green bell pepper.
• Cook some Italian sausage.
• Place pepperoni slices between a few sheets of paper towel and nuke in the microwave for a few seconds to release some of the oil.
The possibilities are virtually endless, but please note to go easy on the amount that you put on. Too much can weigh down the crust and it won't cook evenly. Also the water content from most toppings can make the crust soggy. Time to make the pizza...
What to do:
- Place pizza stone in oven on the closest to the bottom rack (take out any other racks above the stone)
- Crank the oven up (475-500 degrees) and Preheat the stone for at least 1 hour (oven needs to be very hot)
- Put a large sheet of parchment paper on the pizza peel
- Sprinkle it with cornmeal or panko bread crumbs
- Transfer the rolled dough on top of the cornmeal parchment paper
- Let it sit/proof for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour (The dough will rise, and make the crust more airy,"bready", and chewy)
While waiting for the dough to proof and the oven to get really hot, why not make this sauce.
- Brush the edges of the dough with a little melted butter or olive oil (optional)
- Holding the pizza peel in one hand and one corner of the parchment paper in the other, (leaving the pizza on the parchment paper) slide it onto the hot pizza stone, in the oven (Another alternative is to slide the pizza completely off the parchment paper. This can be tricky. If the pizza does not stick to the parchment/moves freely when given a gentle shake, you can cleanly slide the pizza off the peel and the parchment. Please note that this is risky! If the pizza does not slide off cleanly, you'll end up with a mess in the oven. If it does, you get an even crispier crust! Sometimes, I just leave it on the parchment to be safe and ensure that there will be dinner!)
|A Peek into the Oven...|
The pizza can also be baked on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. Just be sure to sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal on it first.
Any questions, Ask Away...